For the Buncheong Ware and White Porcelain exhibition gallery inside the National Museum of Korea, the designer C1S was looking for an ecological decorative paint that recreates the materiality and ethereal typical of the objects on display.
The types of pottery presented in the gallery are those representatives of the Joseon dynasty (1392-1897), that is, Gray coloured vases covered with a white ceramic suspension and decorated with various techniques. The Travertino and Marmorino paints were the designer's choice, as they are able to recreate the same effect as the artefacts and present them in a coherent way, creating the perfect scene and atmosphere.
In fact, tradition, innovation and sustainability are intertwined in these materials. Travertino Romano, an Oikos ecological innovation, is made with quarry processing waste turned into powder, which - with the addition of mixed binders - form a creamy paste capable of reproducing the well-known marble, without altering its characteristics. The Marmorino Naturale, on the other hand, is a plaster with an ancient charm. Known since Roman times and prepared with marble dust, it was originally applied in the multiple layers of buildings, to then become, during the Middle Ages, a fresco base. In addition to transmitting elegance, Marmorino Naturale is an eco-sustainable, breathable and insulating material.
Buncheong ware, or Punch'ong, is a traditional Korean form of stoneware, the objects are coated with white ceramic and the decorative patterns are painted using a ferrous pigment. The stoneware style was born in the 14th century and continues today. In the 20th century, Buncheong ware influenced artists from all over the world and continues to be a source of inspiration today. The Korean collection is one of the most complete and most visited.
The National Museum of Korea is the main art and history museum in South Korea: with an area of 137,201 m² it is the sixth largest museum in the world. Established in 1945, it has changed various locations throughout its history, until it found its final location in 2005, in a new structure built in the Yongsan park in Seoul: inside it collects over 220,000 objects, of which 13,000 are permanently exhibited.